In a perfect world, all music recorded over the last fifty
years would be available on multi-track tape formulated to last for
centuries. Unfortunately, the world is not perfect.
Professional Stereo to 5.1 Up-conversion
In case the source tapes are in a useable condition, the best way to take full advantage of the original material is most often by performing a full remix. However, there are reasons why you would sometimes prefer to up-convert stereo or Lt/Rt material instead:
- A Classic Mix Is too Sacred to Touch.
- There Is Not Enough Time or Budget to do a New Mix.
- A Multitrack Source Tape in a Bad Condition.
- Sound Effects Have to be Spread to 5.1 for Cinema Presentation or HD Broadcast.
- An Up-converted Version can be used as a Benchmark when Remixing.